Written by Kevin Kniestedt
This list, which took the better part of four years, was inspired by those who said that jazz was limited to a certain style or type of performer. The idea behind this list was not to create a “best” albums list, but rather a extensive list of albums that covered as much of jazz history as possible.
Even after posting 1,000 albums, this list is really only a sample of the history of this great art form.
Hopefully you will find some great music you have never heard before and add to your collection.
Here are the first 5 albums. View the entire list here!
1. Standard Time Volume 1 – Wynton Marsalis (Columbia, 1986)
2. Moanin’ – Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers (Blue Note, 1958)
3. Live in Paris – Diana Krall (Verve, 2002)
4. Heavy Weather – Weather Report (Columbia/Legacy, 1977)
5. Prime Time – Count Basie and His Orchestra (Pablo, 1977)