Written by Grant Jackson from NPR
Bassist, bandleader, and composer Christian McBride has been a presence on the jazz scene for more than twenty years. A veteran Piano Jazz sideman, McBride has accompanied guests like J.J. Johnson and Cassandra Wilson.
On this Piano Jazz session from 2001, McBride takes the spotlight as a dynamic composer and stylist, leading a new generation of jazz players. He features his bass in duet with host Marian McPartland on the standard “Alone Together” and plays solo on his composition “Lullaby for a Ladybug.”
Originally recorded May 2001.
- “Alone Together” (Dietz, Schwartz)
- “Billie’s Bounce” (Parker)
- “Dolphin Dance” (Hancock)
- “Lullaby for a Ladybug” (McBride)
- “Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea” (Arlen, Koehler)
- “Midnight Sun” (Burke, Hampton, Mercer)
- “Sonny Moon for Two” (Rollins)