Written by from NPR
Skitch Henderson (1918–2005) worked as a piano soloist on Frank Sinatra‘s and Bing Crosby‘s radio shows. Henderson began a longtime association with NBC in 1951, eventually appearing as pianist, conductor, leader and even comedian on The Tonight Show with host Johnny Carson.
On this 1992 episode of Piano Jazz, Henderson plays several standards, as well as one of his own compositions, the theme song from the film Act 1.
Originally broadcast in the winter of 1992.
- “One Morning In May” (Carmichael)
- “Theme Song From Act 1” (Henderson)
- “S’Wonderful” (Gershwin)
- “Yesterdays” (Harbach, Kern)
- “Mood Indigo” (Bigard, Ellington)
- “These Foolish Things” (Link, Maschwitz, Strachey)
- “I’ll Take Romance” (Hammerstein, Oakland)
- “Fascinating Rhythm” (Gershwin)