Written by from NPR
British pianist Alan Clare (1921–1993) was Marian McPartland‘s guest at the BBC’s Delaware Road studios in London. Clare began his professional career at age 11 and went on to work with George Shearing, Stephane Grappelli and Spike Milligan. He also fulfilled regular engagements at the London residence of the U.S. Ambassador for parties honoring guests such as Queen Elizabeth and President Reagan.
In this 1990 episode of Piano Jazz, Clare plays his composition “John O Groats” and joins McPartland for a go-around in “In A Mellow Tone.”
Originally broadcast in the spring of 1990.
- “John O Groats” (Clare)
- “Do Nothin’ Till You Hear From Me” (Ellington, Russell)
- “Squeeze Me” (Ellington, Gaines)
- “You And The Night And The Music” (Dietz, Schwartz)
- “Don’t Get Around Much Anymore” (Ellington, Russell)
- “Holland Park” (Clare)
- “Dreams Of Castilla” (Clare)
- “Twilight World” (McPartland, Mercer)
- “A Girl Like Me” (Clare)
- “Is It Always Like This?” (Wilder)
- “Where Are The Good Companions?” (Wilder)
- “In A Mellow Tone” (Ellington, Gabler)