Written by from NPR
Multiple Grammy-winning saxophonist David Sánchez weaves threads of Latin American and North American jazz into a colorful tapestry. His vast collection of collaborators has included Dizzy Gillespie, Eddie Palmieri, Paquito D’Rivera, Dee Dee Bridgewater and Kenny Barron.
In this 1998 episode of Piano Jazz, bassist John Benitez, drummer Adam Cruz and host Marian McPartland join Sánchez in a quartet to perform standards like “My Shining Hour” and “The Way You Look Tonight.”
Originally broadcast in the fall of 1998.
- “My Shining Hour” (Arlen, Mercer)
- “Woody ‘n’ You” (Gillespie)
- “Darn That Dream” (Van Heusen, DeLange)
- “The Way You Look Tonight” (Fields, Kern)
- “Time After Time” (Kahn, Styne)
- “Freedom Jazz Dance” (Harris)
- “Oleo” (Rollins)