Vocalist Norah Jones has a sweet, smoky voice that makes standards sound not just revived, but new. Her style branches out into the realms of folk, country, soul, pop and jazz. In 2003, the year she was Marian McPartland‘s guest on Piano Jazz, Jones won her first Grammy Awards for her debut album, Come Away With Me.
In this session, Norah Jones brings her warm vocals to Hoagy Carmichael‘s “The Nearness Of You,” and McPartland and Jones kick off a “Beautiful Friendship.”
Originally broadcast in the winter of 2003.
- “September In The Rain” (Dubin, Warren)
- “Romance In The Dark” (Green)
- “Comes Love” (Brown, Tobias, Stept)
- “For All We Know” (Coots, Lewis)
- “I Can’t Get Started” (Gershwin, Duke)
- “Don’t Know Why” (Harris)
- “Peace” (Carn, Silver)
- “The Nearness Of You” (Carmichael, Washington)
- “A Beautiful Friendship” (Kahn, Styne)